4 "Don'ts" That Could Save Your Life | The Women's Defense Company8/04/2014
This year a conversation began on the tail of a horrific mass murder targeting young females. That conversation was #YesAllWomen. As I read through the confessions of women across the globe, I was reminded of my own vulnerability. Ten years ago I felt that vulnerability keenly, and in an effort to protect myself I signed up for self defense classes. That quickly turned into a year of martial arts that served to both humble me, and grow my confidence by leaps and bounds. After a year, I became distracted with life and moved on, but the lessons I learned stuck with me. When a local friend told me of a class she took at The Women's Defense Company, I was immediately excited. #YesAllWomen should take classes that will empower them and instill techniques that could save her life. I knew I had to do a review and share with you a taste of what you will gain. Here are my....
- 1 in every 3 women will be victims of sexual assault.
- 80% of sexual assaults occur before the age of 25.
- Most attacks are by someone you know.
- 60 -90% of attacks are never reported.
- 97% of rapists never spend a day in jail.
- Be Alert
- Trust Your Instincts (if something seems fishy, it probably is)
- Have your keys ready (see more info on their Keychain Defense Class on the web)
- Keep your hands above your waist when talking to a stranger (it's more assertive, and easier to defend yourself)
- Don't let your desire to be polite be detrimental to your own safety. (criminals will test their victims so speak up)
|Preparing for the Simulation|
4. Don't Let Your Fear Hold You Back
For many of the women like myself who took the class, past experiences had the potential to bring emotions to the forefront. This is normal, and something each of us had to deal with at our own pace. I was encouraged by the incredible kindness the instructors held, and their message to the students to try your best, but do only what you felt you could do. We were told often, "This class is for you. Do what you can." In fact they have a long list of amazing classes I'm looking forward to returning to. The Girl's Night Out class was featured on my latest news segment, and is a perfect three hour class focusing on key chain defense tactics. It's a perfect way to get started, and bond with your besties. As a parent I'm also interested in the Children's Defense class which helps parents open up the dialogue with kids about strangers.
Running While Female". I couldn't help but relate with the writer, and know that so many women have totally been there. How much more confident would she have been, with the support of an organization like the Women's Defense Company?
Also, if you carry a firearm or have thought about doing so, you should check out my husbands blog over at Elevation Expeditions. Very enlightening!
Copyright © Amy West Travel. All rights reserved. Photography by Journey Productions Media.